What is the Parks planning process.
Public input is critical to the success of the improvements made in a park as any things happen before a new park or park amenity can be open to the public. The planning process is dependent on whether the project is a new park or an upgrade to existing park amenities.
For new parks, the Park Development Process generally includes:
- Needs assessment
- Land acquision
- Park planning
- Detailed design
- Park opening
For existing parks and park amenities, the park planning process generally includes:
- Conduct site analysis
- Public info session
- Develop design alternatives
- Public planning workshop
- Develop draft master plan
- Public hearing
- Draft master plan refinements
Breakwater Park Concept Plan
What we are proposing
We are working on a site development plan for creating a new park for the area by the Breakwater Trail and Veterans Memorial.
The plan will help guide long-term improvements and future investment decisions for the area.
When we develop the plan, we will consider:
- picnics, barbeques, and covered space
- cultural heritage
- improved walking and pathways
- seating and signage
- safety and security.
What we want your feedback on
We want to know:
- if you use the area
- what you do when you visit the area
- what you enjoy about the area
- what you want to see at the area.
Your feedback will help us design improvements for the area.
How you can have your say
To have your say, you can:
- Complete the online survey at https://questionpro.com/t/AWCmXZzyeh
- Email email@example.com with a scanned copy of your Breakwater Concept Plan Survey November 2023.
- Attend our drop-in open house session from 5:30pm – 7pm at the Cordova Center on Thursday December 14.
- Complete your survey feedback form and hand it at Bidarki Recreation Center.
You can have your say from November 15 until December 15, 2023.
Parks and recreation master Plan
In late 2023, the City of Cordova Parks and Recreation Department partnered with Alaska-based landscape architects Corvus Design Inc. to develop a 20-year Parks and Recreation Master Plan. The development of a master plan creates an exciting opportunity for the City to develop a strategy to build on our parks and recreation system and involve residents as we plan for the next 20 years.
The goal of the Parks and Recreation Master Plan is to create a user-friendly document that guides the development, delivery, and continuous improvement of recreation and parks programs, services, and facilities. The plan will also identifies priorities and strategies to meet community needs based on annual funding available for such services and facilities.
The resulting recommendations will allow the Parks and Recreation Department to ensure services are aligned with City and community priorities. It also ensures that service delivery methods are effective and efficient with the desired outcome of providing people with opportunities to be active, creative, and connected to each other and to nature through meaningful public parks and recreation services.
The objectives of the Master Plan process include:
• Providing short, intermediate, and long-range management and development plans for recreation, park and facility planning.
• Establishing priorities and recommendations for existing and future park and facility development, including types of parks, size of parks, timing of development, and developer-led allocation of park lands
• Developing a systematic plan that maximizes the park, recreation, trails and natural open space opportunities for Cordova residents.
• Identify the parks/property that are subject to disposal as surplus property.
• Identify parks/property that could be developed.
• Identify appropriate staffing needs to support park maintenance operations based on the Master Plan.
• Identify appropriate staffing needs to support recreation operations based on the Master Plan.
• All work to be completed in accordance with local, state, and federal regulations.
• Knowledge of current and future trends recommended.