Bidarki Recreation Center
The Bidarki Recreation Center is a city owned and operated recreational facility and home to the Cordova Parks and Recreation Department offices.
Bidarki Recreation Center
103 Council Ave, Cordova, AK 99574
Phone: (907) 424-7282
The amenities offered within Bidarki include three cardio areas complete with an assortment of elliptical machines, treadmills and exercise bikes. A fully stocked weight room with a combination of free weights and a variety of weight machines is also available. In addition, Bidarki features a gymnasium with a markings for basketball and volleyball. The Men’s and Women’s locker rooms are both equipped with saunas, showers & lockers available for public use. Towels are provided at the front desk for a dollar if needed.
- 2/20/23 – President’s Day.
- 3/27/23 – Seward’s Day
- 5/29/23 – Memorial Day
- 7/4/23 – Independence Day
- 8/19 – Center closed for drop in use. Members access only via members door.
- 9/4/23 – Labor Day
- 10/18/23 – Alaska Day. Members access only via members door.
- 10/19/23 – Gymnasium closed for maintenance. Mini Movers cancelled.
- 11/10/23 – Observance of Veterans Day
- 11/23/23 – Thanksgiving
- 11/24/23 – Day after Thanksgiving
- 12/25/23 – Christmas Day
*Members Door will be open as per posted hours.
COVID – 19 Update
- Practice Good Hygiene: Wash your hands for at least 20 seconds, practice good hygiene, and cover any cough or sneeze. Don’t touch your face with unwashed hands.
- Wear a Mask: The state does not require the use of masks by the public, however health and science experts recommended that you wear a mask in public wherever social distancing is challenging.
- Get Tested if you are Sick: People who are exhibiting symptoms of any illness should stay home and refrain from using the facility and get tested for Covid-19..
STAFFED PUBLIC HOURS
|Monday||8am – 9pm|
|Tuesday||8am – 9pm|
|Wednesday||8am – 9pm|
|Thursday||8am – 9pm|
|Friday||8am – 8pm|
|Saturday||10am – 6pm|
|Sunday||Closed. Members access only.|
STAFFED PUBLIC HOURS – WINTER (FROM DEC. 1)
|Monday||10am – 8:30pm|
|Tuesday||10am – 8:30pm|
|Wednesday||10am – 8:30pm|
|Thursday||10am – 8:30pm|
|Friday||10am to 7pm|
|Saturday||10am – 4pm|
|Sunday||Closed. Members access only.|
|Monday||3am – 7pm|
|Tuesday||3am – 7pm|
|Wednesday||3am – 7pm|
|Thursday||3am – 7pm|
|Friday||3am – 7pm|
|Saturday||5am – 5pm|
|Sunday||5am – 5pm|
Entrance is via the barcode door at the western end of Bidarki Recreation Center. If you are a member and do not have access to this door please call us on (907) 424-7282 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Member’s access is limited to members 18+ years and older who hold a valid month or annual membership.
Fees & Memberships
Admission & Membership Fees
Bidarki Recreation Center offers a number of membership options to cater to each individual patron. The front desk staff can help you decide whether a ten-trip, monthly, or annual membership is the best fit for you and or give you a tour of the facility. Bob Korn Memorial Swimming Pool Memberships can also be purchased at Bidarki as a Swim+Gym combo or as a singular option.
Membership forms can be picked up at the front desk or downloaded. Facility Membership Form 2023_pdf
Gymnasium Court Hire
$39 per hour. Subject to availability.
Adult Programs & Activities
Through Sweat Pro, we have access to hundreds of fitness classes (for any skill level) which include: Yoga, Pilates, Kickboxing, Bootcamp, Dance, TRX, HIIT and more!
Daily Admission fees apply. Members free.
Adult Drop-in Volleyball:
Monday & Wednesday 6:30pm – 8:30pm
Volleyball players of all skill levels are welcome to come and drop in on the fun for the 1st time or the 100th time! Bump, set and spike your way to great exercise while you play with old and new friends and listen to great tunes in the meantime.
Adult Drop-in Basketball/Open Gym:
Tuesday & Thursday 6:30pm – 8:30pm
An opportunity for all the ballers out there! Drop in and pick-up games.
Friday 5pm – 6pm; Saturday 1:30pm – 3:30pm
Court #1 is drop-in only. Court #2 can be reserved for 1 hour. Give us a call on (907) 424-7282 during business hours to reserve your timeslot.
Open Gym sessions
Casual Open Gym sessions are available depending on availability. Give us a call on (907) 424-7282 or see the Gym timetable under the Hours tab.
Pre School Programs & Activities
Members FREE. Drop-in $2.50/child. Supervising parents/caregivers free.
Mini Movers is a parent/caregiver led casual play session designed for preschoolers to explore their physical capabilities at their own pace in a fun, safe, and social environment.
Tuesday, Thursday & Saturday
10am – 12pm
Youth Programs & Activities
After School Program
The next edition of the After School Program is here! For November we are offering Mondays only and in December will offer Monday and Friday.
The After School Program offers a mix of personal development skills and physical activity and sports.
With thanks to the Cordova Family Resource Center.
Grades: 1 – 6
After School Program New Registration – NovDec 2023 – this needs to be completed by parents/caregivers whose child is new to the program or if your child’s details have changed.
After School Program Enrollment Form – NovDec 2023 – Please complete a separate enrollment form for each child. Please select the days that you want your child to attend.
After School Program Handbook NovDec 2023 – Download a copy of our Parent Handbook (Nov/Dec) to learn all about our policies and procedures.
The after school program is supported by funding from Rural CAP.
December 6, 13, 20, 27
Grades 3 – 6. Drop in only. $4 or FREE with membership.
Join us to improve your basketball skills in a fun and supportive environment. NOTE – this is not a league. It is a scrimmage-type practice.
Youth Soccer League
7/5 – 8/12
$40 + tax /child (incl. shin guards & socks)
Wed. 6-7PM & Sat. 10-11AM
Grades: K-1; 2/3; 4/5/6.
Orca Inlet Recreation Area (Multipurpose Field), Whitshed Road.
Develop basic techniques that help build new skills while enhancing sportsmanship and teamwork. Improve coordination and increase agility whilst learning the rules and fundamentals of the sport.
Teams are coached by volunteers and times may be adjusted based on their availability. Volunteer coaches and helpers are needed,
Required equipment: Shin guards and athletic shoes (no cleats).
For questions email: email@example.com
Summer Play Days
Fridays 7/14, 7/21, 8/11 & 8/18
1pm to 3pm
Hollis Henrich’s Park, 300 Chase Avenue, Cordova
If wet: Bidarki Recreation Center
John the city parks and recreation team for two hours of family fun and games over the summer holidays. We’ve got a treasure chest of sports gear, materials and equipment designed to spark the imagination and inspire play,
Iceworm Classic Volleyball 2023
January 16 – 28, 2023
Co-Ed 6×6 Tournament
Bidarki Recreation Center
$120/team. Max 8 per team.
Download the Iceworm Volleyball Classic Team Entry Form 2023. Entries close January 11, 2023.
Tournament Information Packet
Download the Iceworm Volleyball Classic – Packet_pdf which includes all the details on the tournament including rules and other important information.
Week 2: Double Elimination Bracket Play
January 28, 5pm @ CHS Gymnasium. Championship Final: Mighty Mort vs MOMS.
Iceworm Classic Basketball 2023
January 24 – February 4, 2023
Adult 5×5 Tournament
$159/team. Max 10 per team.
Download the Iceworm Basketball Classic Team Entry Form 2023. Registration closes January 11, 2023.
Tournament Information Packet
Download the Iceworm Basketball Classic 2023 – Packet_pdf (updated 12.29.22) which includes all the details on the tournament including rules and important information.
With generous support from:
Results – Week 1: Round Robin
The Draw – Week 2: Double Elimination Tournament
Fitness Center & Weights Area
Cardiovascular equipment is located the mezzanine floor and overlooks the gymnasium and includes:
- Concept II Rowers
- Elliptical Cross Trainers
- Adaptive Motion Trainers
- Stationary Fitness Bike
The following equipment is suitable for therapy / lower impact:
- Recumbent/Upright Bike
- Stretch Trainer
- Stationary Bike
Machines and Free Weights
Machines and free weights include:
- Curl bars
- Free Weight Benches
- Leg Press
- Lateral Pulldown / Seated Row
- Squat Rack
Children & Youth
Children, aged under 16 are generally not permitted in the Cardio and Weights areas. Young people aged 13 to 15 may be able to use the equipment with Adult supervision.
User Code, Safety Rules and Conditions of Entry
User code, safety rules and conditions of entry
Your safety when using our Recreation Center is important to us. Please follow the following health and safety rules. We also expect our customers to behave in a safe and responsible manner to all staff and customers, and to treat the facility with care and respect.
- Always follow the directions of our staff and any rules, warnings and instructions displayed on any safety signs and notices.
- Please be considerate of other users. Any offensive, threatening, dangerous or illegal activities will not be tolerated. Our decision as to what constitutes an offensive, threatening, inappropriate or dangerous activity will be final and binding. You will be asked to leave if you refuse the instructions of our staff, or your behavior threatens the safety of yourself or others.
- All facilities are drug, alcohol, and smoke free.
- Shirts, shorts/pants, and clean, closed-toe shoes are required.
- Photography and videography for any reason requires prior approval from the Parks & Recreation Director.
- Report any maintenance concerns to Parks & Recreation Department staff.
- All members are required to present a valid Membership barcode tag to access the Center at the front desk during staffed hours.
- Drop in and casual users are required to pay the appropriate fee to access the Center.
- Members who have Extended Use Hours may access the Center outside of staffed hours by scanning their barcode at the members entrance at the western end of the building. Extended Use Hours vary and are subject to change.
Weight Room and Cardio Areas
- Before your first work out on any of the fitness equipment (including weights) we encourage you to have a health check with your doctor.
- If you feel unwell or dizzy, stop your workout.
- The weight room and cardio areas are unsupervised. Individuals must assume personal responsibility for risks associated with using these areas.
- During peak facility hours, cardiovascular equipment use should be limited to 30 minutes per machine.
- Please be aware that you may have to wait to use equipment.
- All equipment must be sanitized after use with the provided disinfectant.
- When your work out is complete, place any used disinfectant bottles in the box at the front entrance when leaving the Center.
- Use equipment only for its designed purpose.
- Treat gym equipment with respect. Weights must not be slammed or intentionally dropped to the floor.
- Return all weights and equipment to its proper location after use.
- Weights must be sanitized with Triad™ III cleaner after use.
- Amplified music must be kept at reasonable levels. Users are recommended to bring their own device and headphones when listening to music.
- Children under 12 are not permitted in the Weights and Cardio areas unless they are actively supervised by an adult.
- Non marking clean gym shoes are to be worn on the court.
- Please ensure that children are supervised.
- Food and drink are prohibited on the court, except water in refillable non-glass container.
- Hoop height will remain at 10ft during open gym times.
- Please place all balls back on the racks once finished with them.
- Dunking or hanging on basketball nets or rims is not permitted.
- The court can be reserved for use. Fees apply. Contact the Parks & Recreation Department for reservations.
- Court reservations are held for ten minutes past reservation time. After 10 minutes reservations are forfeited.
All users must be 16 years and older.
Do not use if:
- are pregnant.
- have a serious illness.
- have a heart condition.
- have high or low blood pressure.
- have a respiratory condition.
- have any other medical condition which may affect your reaction to heat.
What sauna users must do
- Shower and towel dry before using the sauna, and afterwards too if you intend to subsequently use other facilities in the Center.
- Use a towel or mat to sit on.
- Take a break after 10 minutes.
- Wear appropriate attire.
- Remember to drink plenty of water.
- Exit immediately if you feel uncomfortable, dizzy, sleepy and seek assistance.
- Comply with stated occupancy limits. Max 4 people.
What sauna users must not do
- Do not use oil or lotion.
- Do not spit in the sauna.
- Exceed 30 minutes in the sauna at one time.
- Please keep the changing rooms in clean and tidy condition.
- Report any cleanliness or maintenance issues to the front desk staff.
- Lockers are for day use only. All locks must be removed and taken with you when you leave.
- The City of Cordova is not responsible for lost or stolen property.
Lost & Found
- Found items should be turned in at the front desk.
- Lost items must be retrieved in person at the front desk.
- Unclaimed items will be discarded after 30 days.
At times we may have to or choose to close parts or all of the facility for repairs, general maintenance, refurbishment, health and safety or emergencies.
When a continuous alarm sounds, or if instructed to do so by staff, please proceed to the nearest exit immediately, or otherwise directed by staff and/or automated system.
You will not be permitted to re-enter until clearance has been given