The Public Safety Officer is responsible for maintaining public safety and community order by performing patrol duties and enforcing all applicable laws in the protection of life and property.
CLASSIFICATION: HOURLY, OVERTIME ELIGIBLE, IBEW BARGAINING UNIT
SALARY: $31.27 – $40.86 PER HOUR, DOE
HOURS: VARIABLE, INCLUDES NIGHTS, HOLIDAYS, AND WEEKENDS
BENEFITS: RELOCATION ASSISTANCE, SIGNING BONUS FOR CERTIFIED OFFICERS
QUALIFICATIONS: High School graduate or possession of a GED. Current police certification preferred. If not already certified, ability to successfully complete approved training academy and obtain APSC Basic Certification within 12 months. Valid State of Alaska driver’s license. Ability to pass background check and meet physical demands of position.
- Patrols assigned areas; monitors activity and responds with appropriate action to situations.
- Investigates criminal complaints, collects physical evidence, conducts interviews and documents findings.
- Enforces motor vehicle laws; pursues and apprehends violators; performs field sobriety tests.
- Maintains a visible presence in the community and good community relations to deter crime.
- Transports prisoners; maintains security within the jail facility; ensures the health and security of inmates.
- Writes reports; collects, prepares, and presents evidence; testifies in court.
- Maintains assigned equipment in good operational order.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Non-traditional work hours are required, to include evenings, weekends, holidays and shift work. Most of the work is performed outdoors, often in inclement weather, in conditions that subject the employee to potential personal danger. Employee may be exposed to verbal and physical abuse by suspects or other individuals in antagonistic situations. Some work is accomplished in a general office setting.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Capable of effectively communicating during interactions with other individuals. Ability to visually identify criminal activity. Ability to detain criminals or assist individuals in need, to include the ability to lift, drag, or otherwise move incapacitated individuals. Capable of running, climbing, jumping over or crawling under obstacles.
LEGAL REQUIREMENTS: As a condition of employment, applicant is subject to a background check (criminal, education, employment history.) Required licenses/certifications must remain valid for the duration of employment.
TO APPLY: Download a City application and complete job description, which includes necessary knowledge, skills, abilities and working conditions. Interested individuals should submit a City application to Human Resources, email@example.com. Applications accepted until position filled.
THE CITY OF CORDOVA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER