The Mechanic I or II repairs and maintains City vehicles and equipment. Manages City shop facility under the supervision of the Public Works Superintendent and Public Works Director.
CLASSIFICATION: FULL-TIME, HOURLY, OVERTIME ELIGIBLE, IBEW BARGAINING UNIT
SALARY: $23.46 – $30.95 PER HOUR, DOE
HOURS: 40 HOURS PER WEEK MON-FRI, 0500 – 1700, VARIES SEASONALLY; OCCAISONAL EVENING AND WEEKEND HOURS ARE REQUIRED
- Mechanic I
- Minimum 1-year experience of automotive, construction/heavy equipment, heavy truck or bus repair and maintenance experience.
- Must possess valid Alaska Driver’s license in good standing.
- Mechanic II
- Minimum 5-years’ experience of automotive, construction/heavy equipment, heavy truck or bus repair and maintenance experience.
- Must possess a minimum Alaska class B Commercial Driver’s license in good standing.
- Basic knowledge of various mechanical principles such as power transmission, engine types/cycles, fluids, braking systems, hydraulics, and be able to work safely, being aware of occupational and environmental hazards associated with mechanical work.
- Willing and able to learn to operate all City equipment. Training and instruction will be provided.
- Possess skill in metal repair, fabrication, and reverse engineering of unavailable parts using various forms of metal joining, welding, and powered machine equipment.
- Ability to accurately complete written work and testing programs in the English language.
- Ability to comprehend and follow safety rules and regulations.
- Ability to communicate in a clear and courteous manner.
- Ability to understand and follow written/oral policies, procedures, and instructions.
- Ability and willingness to quickly learn and put to use new skills and knowledge brought about by changing information, equipment, and/or technology.
- Ability to respond to emergency situations in a timely manner; ability to exercise good judgement in time-critical and emergent situations.
- Ability to maintain a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner that is respectful and fosters teamwork.
- Ability to pay attention to detail and use analytical skills to perform work duties.
TO APPLY: Download a City application and complete job description, which includes necessary knowledge, skills, abilities and working conditions. Interested individuals should submit a City application to Human Resources, email@example.com. Applications accepted until position filled.
THE CITY OF CORDOVA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER