The Comptroller is a senior-level accountant position that performs work in managing, directing and overseeing the accounting operations of the City of Cordova under the guidance and supervision of the City Manager. The Comptroller ensures accurate recording of all receipts and expenditures and the preparation of quarterly and annual financial reports while overseeing the work of the finance department personnel.
CLASSIFICATION: FULL TIME, OVERTIME EXEMPT, SALARIED AND CONFIDENTIAL
SALARY: $68,166 – $84,566 ANNUALLY, DOE
HOURS: MON-FRI OFFICE HOURS, 0800-1700
QUALIFICATIONS: Five (5) years’ progressively responsible accounting experience which included fund accounting and cost accounting, five (5) years’ recent payroll experience in a municipal finance department, Alaska preferred, and two (2) years’ experience in auditing. Preference given to candidates with a post-secondary degree in Accounting or related filed, CPA/CMA, and/or experience using Caselle government accounting software.
- Oversees operations of the finance department and third-party financial service providers.
- Ensures accuracy and legal compliance of accounting records, reporting and tax filing.
- Oversees and coordinates audit preparation, participation and provision of information to auditors.
- Maintains chart of accounts and general ledger; prepares financial statements.
- Maintains a system of controls over account transactions and orderly filing system.
- Reviews trial balance reports of all funds; ensures completion of periodic bank reconciliations.
- Audits accounts and records of receipts, expenditures, budget activities, assets, inventories and benefits.
- Supervises daily posting and coding of all financial transactions.
- Trains, assigns, supervises and evaluates the work of assigned employees.
- Assists in coordinating and preparing the annual budget; calculates and reports variances.
- Reviews, recommends and drafts updates and revisions to financial policies for the City.
LEGAL REQUIREMENTS: As a condition of employment, applicant is subject to a background check (criminal history, verification of education/employment history.)
TO APPLY: Download a City application and complete job description, which includes necessary knowledge, skills, abilities and working conditions. Interested individuals should submit a City application, cover letter and resume to Human Resources, firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications accepted until position filled.
THE CITY OF CORDOVA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER